Spain: Spanish in the Land of Don Quixote™
For more than a language course, travel to Toledo, Madrid, and Salamanca—the perfect setting for a full Spanish experience.
- Improve your Spanish through language immersion
- Walk the historic streets of Toledo, known as “the city of three cultures”
- Visit some of Madrid’s oldest restaurants on a tapas tour
- Go kayaking on the Alto Tajo River
- Spend two days helping out the local community with a service project
- Optional Homestay Extension: Stay an extra week and live with a Spanish family to perfect your Spanish
On This Program you will...
Travel to three cities in the heart of Spain, all with rich histories that bring a unique taste of España with each stop. Explore the Spanish language through the lens of one of Spain’s most famous literary figures as you walk the steps of Cervantes in this land of Don Quixote. For those wanting to go the extra mile, the one-week optional Homestay Extension comes with the added bonus of living with a Spanish family in Toledo, the perfect location to become fully immersed in the language and culture.
Your Adventure is Just Around the Corner!
- Start your journey in Madrid, the Spanish capital
- Travel to Toldeo where your Spanish immersion will truly begin
- Next, journey west to Salamanca, where you’ll find the third oldest European university and Cervantes’ alma mater
- Optional Home Stay Extension: Participants will live in Toledo and explore Almagro, home to one of the oldest open air theatres in the world
Take your Spanish language learning to the next level with engaging classes taught by local teachers and myriad opportunities for rich cultural exchange. Learn about Spain’s literary history–including a visit to the windmills made famous in Cervantes’ masterpiece work. Learn from local artisans in skilled trades such as sword making and the art of flamenco dance; then, try your hand at creating traditional Spanish cuisine in a cooking class.
See Spain by land, air and water! Go kayaking in Madrid before enjoying a relaxing afternoon by the Alto Tajo river. Explore Toledo via scavenger hunt and take in the cityscape from above on an urban zipline. Do as the locals do and treat yourself to a traditional hammam, or steam bath, a practice brought to Spain by the Moors centuries ago.
Lodging info coming soon.
Looking to experience Europe this summer? You might get a whole lot more.
Where our service-learning programs go deep, Europe Discovery programs go broad. These experiences deliver on our exploratory travel methodology to immerse students in a country or theme through a series of locations deliberately selected for their impact and significance–iconic monuments, historical sites, and cultural exploration are all on the agenda. This program type is ideal for students who are curious about or have a strong interest in history, culture, the arts, contemporary issues, and the role of each city or region on the global stage.
Dates & Tuition
Spanish in the Land of Don Quixote™
14-Day Program with 7-Night Homestay Extension
|July 3 – July 23, 2020|
|July 19 – August 8, 2020|
|July 3 – July 16, 2020|
|July 19 – August 1, 2020|
Tuition Includes All In-Country Expenses Including:
- All educational materials
- 3 meals per day
- All in-country transportation
- Airport pick-up/drop-off
- Professional full-time staff and experts from the USA/Europe
- 24/7 Parent Support Hotline during the program
- Secondary medical and travel insurance
- All cultural activities, lectures and weekend excursions
- Pre-departure materials and support
Chat with Past Participants on Facebook
Custom Group Travel Option
Global Leadership Adventures offers open enrollment on this program to any high school student who wishes to join any of the summer session dates listed above. Students will meet other teens from around the country and the world who sign up for the same program dates and destination.
Alternatively, this program is also available as an option for custom group travel any time of the year for those looking to put together their own group trip.
GLA Custom Group Travel works with educators, group leaders, or self-led students to create a tailored experience for their specific group of 12 or more students. Select a pre-designed itinerary or select your own countries, themes, and learning objectives; regardless, GLA provides a safe environment for participants to learn, grow and challenge themselves with their fellow travel mates. Our local partners help bring foreign cultures to life, providing the critical context only a local resident could provide, and granting our students locals-only access to off-the-beaten-path experiences.
Leadership and personal growth are the core components of all of our programs, regardless of duration, destination or theme type and can be woven throughout every aspect of the experience as desired by the group leader. Our programs aim to ignite participants to become inspired to be the change.