Apply for GLA's prestigious Fellowship and earn Arts & Letters or Honors merits.
SUMMER 2023 FELLOWSHIP APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN.
APPLY BETWEEN NOW AND MONDAY, MAY 1 TO BE CONSIDERED.» APPLICATION DEADLINE NOW EXTENDED THROUGH THURSDAY, MAY 18. «
CLICK HERE TO COMPLETE YOUR APPLICATION
What Are Fellowships?
Global Leadership Adventures Fellowships provide academically and creatively gifted students the opportunity to expand upon their GLA program experience with a curriculum that both highlights and recognizes their achievements.
Fellowships are add-ons to your standard GLA summer program. To become a GLA Fellow, you must be:
- (a) enrolled in a GLA travel program this summer [or]
- (b) able to enroll in a GLA travel program this summer, pending your Fellowship acceptance
Choose between an Arts & Letters Fellowship or Honors Fellowship. To become a candidate for either of these fellowships, you must complete a brief application for consideration by our Fellowship Committee.
Fellowships invite students to step up and learn to be leaders in their field of interest. Whether you decide to be an Arts & Letters Fellow or Honors Fellow, you’ll be able to choose a concentration within your desired field.
Being a Fellow means being a leader. When you are accepted as a Fellow, you are making a conscious choice to be among the leaders in your program cohort. There is no hand-holding during your Fellowship experience. You’ll be expected to complete the final project assigned to you using only the materials and guidance provided. It’s up to you to deliver, which is what makes this such an outstanding addition to your future college applications or essays.
Develop your leadership potential as part of a cohort of fellow high achievers
Showcase your academic or creative skills in a meaningful way
Earn exceptional merits you can reference on your university applications or essays
How Do Fellowships Work?
Think of a Fellowship as an extension of your standard GLA program experience. The heavy lifting mostly happens after your travel program this summer, with some optional (and recommended) pre-program Fellowship coursework to complete before your program as well.
Being a Fellow won’t interfere with any part of your program experience. Nor will it exclude you from any activities or excursions on your program – you can do it all! The only requirement to complete your Fellowship is to submit a quality final project after you return home from your program.
Fellows are typically high-achieving high school students. If you’re the kind of student who wants to go that extra mile, is self-motivated to take on additional learning assignments before your program, champion skill-building or critical thinking on-program, and complete a creative final project or honors-level essay after your program, we encourage you to apply.
Your time commitment during any segment of the Fellowship is flexible. Like any strong leadership immersion program, what you put into it will determine what you get out of it. There is no minimum number of hours you must invest to be a successful Fellow. Quality counts more than quantity!
Fellowships are 100% optional. This is by design. Why? Because your GLA program is going to be a spectacular experience regardless. While you may gain something from joining as a Fellow, you’re not losing out on any part of your GLA program experience by not participating either.
What Steps Do I Need To Take?
- Choose the Honors or Arts & Letters Fellowship
- Select a concentration area
- Complete a brief application
- Pay the Fellowship Fee upon acceptance
- Receive your Fellowship packet
- Review the detailed curriculum
- Complete your optional pre-program assignment
- Learn more about your field of interest
- Take notes, ask questions or journal
- Build context for your final project
- Gather photos, videos or quotes for your final project
- Don’t forget to have fun on-program!
- Return home from your program
- Choose a prompt for your final essay or creative project
- Complete a final project
- Submit your project for committee review
FELLOWSHIP APPLICATIONS ARE DUE BY MONDAY, MAY 1, 2023
IF ACCEPTED, YOUR FINAL PROJECT WILL BE DUE FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2023
WHAT DOES THE FEE COVER?
The $500 cost covers your custom curriculum and review of your final project by the Fellowship Committee.
WHEN IS THE FEE ADDED?
If you are enrolled, the fee is added automatically to your account upon acceptance into the Fellowship. If you are not enrolled, the fee will be applied once you enroll in a program.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO APPLY?
Applying for the Fellowship is free. You are welcome to apply before enrolling in a GLA program at no cost to you. However, please note if you are already enrolled and submit a Fellowship application, the fee will automatically be added to your account pending your acceptance as a Fellow.
WHAT AWARDS WILL I EARN?
- A Certificate of Achievement
- A Custom Metal Fellowship Pin
- A Recommendation Letter from our Executive Director (upon request)
- The title of Honors Fellow or Arts & Letters Fellow for your College Applications
The Fellowship Fee is $500
Where Do I Get Started?
Choose from 1 of 4 concentrations:
- Animal & Wildlife Conservation
- Community Development
- Environmental Stewardship
- Public Health & Medicine
The concentration you choose will provide context for your learning and have a direct correlation to your final honors essay.
Choose from 1 of 4 concentrations:
- Creative Writing
- Fine Arts (Coming in 2024)
The concentration you choose will provide context for your learning and have a direct correlation to your final creative project.
Popular questions include:
- What will I get out of the Fellowship?
- Will I need to buy any learning materials?
- How much work will I need to put into my final project?
- What happens if I miss a deadline?
Here’s what to expect:
- Applying only takes 5-10 minutes
- Provide your basic contact information
- Complete a short answer questionnaire
- We’ll notify you of your application status