India: The Initiative for Children™
Make a difference in the lives of Indian youth as you discover authentic India, from the Taj Mahal to the royal city of Jaipur.
- Live in the royal city of Jaipur, known as the “Pink City” for the distinctive color of its old city
- Teach India’s children and support infrastructure projects at local schools
- Take part in an Indian cooking lesson, dress workshops, and yoga sessions
- Camp in the desert outskirts of Pushkar after experiencing a unique camel safari
- Travel to the Taj Mahal, the world’s most famous monument to love
On This Program you will...
Experience the magical land of India: diverse people, dramatic landscapes and spiritual energy. You’ll have the opportunity to help India’s underserved children in both a school and orphanage setting as well as volunteer on community development projects. Immerse yourself in cultural activities like Bollywood dance, traditional Indian cooking and yoga sessions. Discover this unique culture as you tour the royal city of Jaipur, go on a camel ride in the desert and visit incredible temples.
Your Adventure is Just Around the Corner!
Be part of the initiative to support children academically in a part of the world where the literacy rate is below 70%. In Jaipur, you’ll work with an orphanage that serves children affected by India’s HIV epidemic. Your service may range from improving infrastructure to beautifying the facilities or even engaging in structured play with the kids. In Pushkar, volunteer at a school for underprivileged children. Return to Jaipur to teach children in a government school, where funding is almost non-existent and the need is great.
Discover India’s diverse religious history as you visit a historic temple famous for being the only one erected for Brahma, and participate in yoga sessions. Take a town tour in Pushkar and visit a colorful and vibrant local market where you can shop for items like embroidered clothing, jewelry and traditional goods. Between sightseeing and participating in various cultural activities, learn about and discuss the preeminent issues in the region, from access to health care to educational opportunities for youth.
India is a place that beckons you to adventure at every corner. Take a cable car ride to a temple at the top of a mountain, with stunning aerial views of the desert and town below. Visit sacred Lake Pushkar, a site of religious significance to those who practice Hinduism. You’ll also have the chance to camp over night in the desert outskirts and ride a camel. And of course, no trip to India would be complete without the ultimate bucket list item: an excursion to the iconic Taj Mahal in Agra.
In both Jaipur and Pushkar, Home Bases will be hotels with nice, clean and safe accommodations. Students will stay in gender-segregated rooms with roommates and have access to shared bathrooms. Meals will consist of mostly vegetarian dishes due to the local culture, but non-vegetarian dishes will also be provided.
Are you passionate about improving the communities children depend on?
- Make a difference as a teen volunteer in the lives of children in-need through meaningful service
- Connect with a new culture and make friends with like-minded interests
- Go on excursions and explore everything that makes the destination you choose special
- Leave a lasting impact that will have a positive effect on the community for years to come
Dates & Tuition
The Initiative for Children™
21-Day Flagship Program
|July 1 – July 21, 2021|
Tuition Includes All In-Country Expenses Including:
- All educational materials
- 3 meals per day
- All in-country transportation
- Airport pick-up/drop-off
- Professional full-time staff and experts from the USA/Europe
- 24/7 Parent Support Hotline during the program
- Secondary medical and travel insurance
- All cultural activities, lectures and weekend excursions
- Pre-departure materials and support
Chat with Past Participants on Facebook
Custom Group Travel Option
Global Leadership Adventures offers open enrollment on this program to any high school student who wishes to join any of the summer session dates listed above. Students will meet other teens from around the country and the world who sign up for the same program dates and destination.
Alternatively, this program is also available as an option for custom group travel any time of the year for those looking to put together their own group trip.
GLA Custom Group Travel works with educators, group leaders, or self-led students to create a tailored experience for their specific group of 12 or more students. Select a pre-designed itinerary or select your own countries, themes, and learning objectives. GLA’s service-learning methodology is the vehicle through which students learn, grow and challenge themselves and their fellow travelers; our host communities welcome students’ energy and helping hands.
Leadership and personal growth are the core components of all of our programs, regardless of duration, destination or theme type and can be woven throughout every aspect of the experience through our intentional design as desired by the group leader. Our programs aim to ignite participants to become inspired to be the change.
The GLA Community