Greece: Mythology, Philosophy & Modern Democracy™
Explore Greece, from the ancient wonders of the world’s most influential civilization, to the complexities of modern life.
- Check out the ancient Acropolis of Athens citadel, a UNESCO World Heritage Site which includes the Parthenon and Temple of Athena Nike
- Sail along the caldera of Santorini in a traditional wooden boat, just like a true argonaut
- Climb atop Nea Kameni, a famous volcano
- Dive deep into Greek mythology through site visits, guest speakers, and local lore
- Spend a half day helping out in the local community with a service project
On This Program you will...
Travel to some of Greece’s most influential and picturesque cities. From Socrates and Aristotle who formed the basis for modern philosophy and the sciences to creating the first democratic society, Greece has been and continues to be a major influencer of Europe and the world. Explore ancient ruins and modern issues, including immigration and the country’s recent financial challenges. Develop your leadership skills and connect with locals as you discover all Greece has to offer!
Your Adventure is Just Around the Corner!
- Your adventure begins in Athens, a treasure trove of ancient civilization that has been incredibly memorialized in the form of ruins, museums, and iconic spaces that are still in use.
- Ferry to Crete, Greece’s largest island and, according to Greek mythology, the birthplace of Zeus himself.
- Stay and explore Heraklion and Rethymno, as well as several other colorful villages on the island. See what everyday life looks like for a small-town Cretan.
- Sail through the Aegean Sea to the dreamy island of Santorini, known for its whitewashed cube dwellings.
Pay a visit to the Byzantine Monastery of Preveli, where the monks are notably active in the community and have continued to advocate for education and personal freedoms for centuries. Visit a Crete resident and learn about the island’s history, culture, and foods–you may even get to taste a home-baked treat!
Kayak on the cerulean waters of Heraion Lagoon and enjoy water games and lunch on the beach. See Athens by bike, stopping to explore the city’s historic center including the Panathenaic Stadium. Take a dip in Santorini’s volcanic hot springs.
Lodging info coming soon.
Looking to experience Europe this summer? You might get a whole lot more.
Where our service-learning programs go deep, Europe Discovery programs go broad. These experiences deliver on our exploratory travel methodology to immerse students in a country or theme through a series of locations deliberately selected for their impact and significance–iconic monuments, historical sites, and cultural exploration are all on the agenda. This program type is ideal for students who are curious about or have a strong interest in history, culture, the arts, contemporary issues, and the role of each city or region on the global stage.
Dates & Tuition
Mythology, Philosophy & Modern Democracy™
|June 22 – July 3, 2020|
|July 6 – July 17, 2020|
Tuition Includes All In-Country Expenses Including:
- All educational materials
- 3 meals per day
- All in-country transportation
- Airport pick-up/drop-off
- Professional full-time staff and experts from the USA/Europe
- 24/7 Parent Support Hotline during the program
- Secondary medical and travel insurance
- All cultural activities, lectures and weekend excursions
- Pre-departure materials and support
Chat with Past Participants on Facebook
Custom Group Travel Option
Global Leadership Adventures offers open enrollment on this program to any high school student who wishes to join any of the summer session dates listed above. Students will meet other teens from around the country and the world who sign up for the same program dates and destination.
Alternatively, this program is also available as an option for custom group travel any time of the year for those looking to put together their own group trip.
GLA Custom Group Travel works with educators, group leaders, or self-led students to create a tailored experience for their specific group of 12 or more students. Select a pre-designed itinerary or select your own countries, themes, and learning objectives; regardless, GLA provides a safe environment for participants to learn, grow and challenge themselves with their fellow travel mates. Our local partners help bring foreign cultures to life, providing the critical context only a local resident could provide, and granting our students locals-only access to off-the-beaten-path experiences.
Leadership and personal growth are the core components of all of our programs, regardless of duration, destination or theme type and can be woven throughout every aspect of the experience as desired by the group leader. Our programs aim to ignite participants to become inspired to be the change.
The GLA Community