Ghana: Building Healthy Villages™
Be a part of an invigorating 2-week building project and see your work through from the ground up to completion.
- Live in a beachside Ghanaian ecolodge
- Explore issues related to composting latrines within the community in which you are working
- Construct a composting latrine from start to finish for families in need
- Experience Ghana’s unique drum and dance culture
- Cruise down the River Volta to the sea
- Learn about WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene) and women’s health issues
- Be surrounded by Ghana’s high-energy drum and dance culture
On This Program you will...
Learn why the role of public health is critical in breaking persistent poverty cycles through your start-to-finish compost toilet building project and discussions with health-focused organizations. Participate in community outreach programs that educate about WASH (Water And Sanitation, Hygiene). Both physically challenging and an opportunity to dive into health issues, this unique program provides both a building experience as well as a glimpse into Ghana’s colorful and celebratory culture.
Your Adventure is Just Around the Corner!
Assist local masons in the construction of a composting latrine from start to finish for families in need. Before you wrinkle your nose, consider the critical importance of your work: These latrines help prevent the spread of disease and help local girls stay in school. This eco-friendly project also produces high-quality fertilizer that can increase crop yields and sustain nutritious diets. Be part of a ribbon cutting ceremony with the families upon completion!
See first-hand why sanitation is important in rural communities; learn from nurses as they provide regular maternal and neonatal health checkups for mothers and newborn babies. Compare and contrast traditional ways of life with western practices with guest speakers. Be immersed in local culture, including high-energy drumming workshops and Ewe (pronounced “eh-way”) language lessons.
Live steps away from Ghana’s southern coast, where you’ll experience the sights and sounds of fishermen on the beach. Join them in pulling in the nets! Explore outdoor markets, colorful fabrics and handmade crafts unique to this region of the world. Visit a coastal slave fort, a poignant reminder of a page of history that defined our modern world. Cruise down the Volta River to the sea, and celebrate finishing your service project with a bonfire on the beach.
Home Base is a cluster of beachfront guest rooms in a well-appointed, enclosed lodge on the southern coast of Ghana. Students will stay with roommates in comfortable, gender-segregated rooms equipped with a fan. Bathrooms will be shared and have cold-water showers. Cool down after a hard day’s work in the beautiful lagoon right in front of Home Base!
Are you passionate about completing projects that truly make a difference in the community?
- Build from the ground up on projects that directly affect the daily lives of locals
- Work alongside local organizations who promote sustainable building initiatives in the community
- Improve public health by completing much needed infrastructure projects
- Be innovative by utilizing sustainable materials to meet community needs
Dates & Tuition
Building Healthy Villages™
|June 28 – July 11, 2021|
|July 15 – July 28, 2021|
Tuition Includes All In-Country Expenses Including:
- All educational materials
- 3 meals per day
- All in-country transportation
- Airport pick-up/drop-off
- Professional full-time staff and experts from the USA/Europe
- 24/7 Parent Support Hotline during the program
- Secondary medical and travel insurance
- All cultural activities, lectures and weekend excursions
- Pre-departure materials and support
Chat with Past Participants on Facebook
Custom Group Travel Option
Global Leadership Adventures offers open enrollment on this program to any high school student who wishes to join any of the summer session dates listed above. Students will meet other teens from around the country and the world who sign up for the same program dates and destination.
Alternatively, this program is also available as an option for custom group travel any time of the year for those looking to put together their own group trip.
GLA Custom Group Travel works with educators, group leaders, or self-led students to create a tailored experience for their specific group of 12 or more students. Select a pre-designed itinerary or select your own countries, themes, and learning objectives. GLA’s service-learning methodology is the vehicle through which students learn, grow and challenge themselves and their fellow travelers; our host communities welcome students’ energy and helping hands.
Leadership and personal growth are the core components of all of our programs, regardless of duration, destination or theme type and can be woven throughout every aspect of the experience through our intentional design as desired by the group leader. Our programs aim to ignite participants to become inspired to be the change.
The GLA Community