Ghana: Building Healthy Villages™
THIS PROGRAM IS NOT OPERATING FOR THE 2022 SEASON. IT IS CURRENTLY PLANNED TO RETURN IN 2023. SEE SESSION DATES FOR 2023 BELOW.
Be a part of an invigorating 2-week building project and see your work through from the ground up to completion.
- Live in a beachside Ghanaian ecolodge
- Explore issues related to composting latrines within the community in which you are working
- Construct a composting latrine from start to finish for families in need
- Experience Ghana’s unique drum and dance culture
- Cruise down the River Volta to the sea
- Learn about WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene) and women’s health issues
- Be surrounded by Ghana’s high-energy drum and dance culture
On This Program you will...
Learn why the role of public health is critical in breaking persistent poverty cycles through your start-to-finish compost toilet building project and discussions with health-focused organizations. Participate in community outreach programs that educate about WASH (Water And Sanitation, Hygiene). Both physically challenging and an opportunity to dive into health issues, this unique program provides both a building experience as well as a glimpse into Ghana’s colorful and celebratory culture.
Your Adventure is Just Around the Corner!
Assist local masons in the construction of a composting latrine from start to finish for families in need. Before you wrinkle your nose, consider the critical importance of your work: These latrines help prevent the spread of disease and help local girls stay in school. This eco-friendly project also produces high-quality fertilizer that can increase crop yields and sustain nutritious diets. Be part of a ribbon cutting ceremony with the families upon completion!
See first-hand why sanitation is important in rural communities; learn from nurses as they provide regular maternal and neonatal health checkups for mothers and newborn babies. Compare and contrast traditional ways of life with western practices with guest speakers. Be immersed in local culture, including high-energy drumming workshops and Ewe (pronounced “eh-way”) language lessons.
Live steps away from Ghana’s southern coast, where you’ll experience the sights and sounds of fishermen on the beach. Join them in pulling in the nets! Explore outdoor markets, colorful fabrics and handmade crafts unique to this region of the world. Visit a coastal slave fort, a poignant reminder of a page of history that defined our modern world. Cruise down the Volta River to the sea, and celebrate finishing your service project with a bonfire on the beach.
Home Base is a cluster of beachfront guest rooms in a well-appointed, enclosed lodge on the southern coast of Ghana. Students will stay with roommates in comfortable, gender-segregated rooms equipped with a fan. Bathrooms will be shared and have cold-water showers. Cool down after a hard day’s work in the beautiful lagoon right in front of Home Base!
Are you passionate about completing projects that truly make a difference in the community?
- Build from the ground up on projects that directly affect the daily lives of locals
- Work alongside local organizations who promote sustainable building initiatives in the community
- Improve public health by completing much needed infrastructure projects
- Be innovative by utilizing sustainable materials to meet community needs
Dates & Tuition
Building Healthy Villages™
Tuition Includes All In-Country Expenses Including:
- Airport pick-up/drop-off
- In-country transportation
- 3 meals per day
- Professional full-time staff and experts
- 24/7 parent support hotline during the program
- Secondary medical and evacuation insurance
- Cultural activities, lectures and excursions
- Pre-departure materials and support
- Educational materials