Peru: Foundations of Global Health™
Work on public health campaigns for the residents of Peru’s stunning, yet challenging, Sacred Valley.
- Gain hands-on healthcare experience in rural clinics
- Help improve basic health for local communities through construction projects
- Spend a day on the river with a rafting adventure in the Sacred Valley
- Mark the iconic Machu Picchu off your bucket list
On This Program you will...
Lend a hand in an area in which poor infrastructure and lack of education pertaining to good hygiene are major factors contributing to health issues in the rugged topography of the Andes. Learn from community health workers operating traveling clinics. This program is a real opportunity to learn about public health as a basic human need, while helping to carry out important health campaigns in one of the most exciting and culturally rich landscapes in the world.
Your Adventure is Just Around the Corner!
Work to improve living conditions for rural families through home improvement or pro-sanitation construction projects. In addition, help a local organization deliver campaigns on holistic health and medical awareness, and learn about their traveling clinics which strive to reach communities in the Andes and provide free, quality care that they would otherwise have no access to.
You’ll gain exposure to a wide variety of health settings and topics that help facilitate an understanding of how diversities and disparities in peoples and places impact human health. Shadow community health workers and learn diagnostic techniques. You’ll see how basic health monitoring works…and maybe pick up a few key medical terms in Spanish! In the evenings, discuss your observations, the cases you’ve witnessed and the first steps you’ll take to increase global access to healthcare.
Explore the city of Cuzco, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, home to bustling markets and quiet stone corridors. The surrounding region is home to amazing landmarks like the Sacred Valley, which is filled with breathtaking mountain views, colorful Peruvian clothing and ancient sites. Visit the iconic Machu Picchu, the ancient Inca ruins that have mystified and intrigued travelers for decades. Go on an exciting rafting adventure down the steep-walled and scenic river valley.
Home Base will be at a community-built and operated hotel in the Sacred Valley. Students will share rooms with roommates, typically with ensuite bathrooms, and enjoy communal meals as a group. Accommodations are basic, but clean and safe.
Are you passionate about making a difference in the health of families living in remote areas of the world?
- Discover the unique challenges of providing adequate medical care in rural communities while contributing to this cause
- Build facilities that directly improve the health of the community
- Learn what it’s like to be a doctor, nurse or global health worker in a developing country
- Go beyond typical public health mission trips for teens, and compare the healthcare practices of the western world with traditional medicine from the region
Dates & Tuition
Foundations of Global Health™
|June 25 – July 8, 2021|
|July 11 – July 24, 2021|
|July 27 – August 9, 2021|
Tuition Includes All In-Country Expenses Including:
- All educational materials
- 3 meals per day
- All in-country transportation
- Airport pick-up/drop-off
- Professional full-time staff and experts from the USA/Europe
- 24/7 Parent Support Hotline during the program
- Secondary medical and travel insurance
- All cultural activities, lectures and weekend excursions
- Pre-departure materials and support
Chat with Past Participants on Facebook
Custom Group Travel Option
Global Leadership Adventures offers open enrollment on this program to any high school student who wishes to join any of the summer session dates listed above. Students will meet other teens from around the country and the world who sign up for the same program dates and destination.
Alternatively, this program is also available as an option for custom group travel any time of the year for those looking to put together their own group trip.
GLA Custom Group Travel works with educators, group leaders, or self-led students to create a tailored experience for their specific group of 12 or more students. Select a pre-designed itinerary or select your own countries, themes, and learning objectives. GLA’s service-learning methodology is the vehicle through which students learn, grow and challenge themselves and their fellow travelers; our host communities welcome students’ energy and helping hands.
Leadership and personal growth are the core components of all of our programs, regardless of duration, destination or theme type and can be woven throughout every aspect of the experience through our intentional design as desired by the group leader. Our programs aim to ignite participants to become inspired to be the change.
The GLA Community