Peru: Foundations of Global Health™
Work On Public Health Campaigns For The Residents Of Peru’s Stunning, Yet Challenging, Cuzco Region
- Gain hands-on healthcare experience in rural, Quechua communities
- Explore the cobblestone streets and bustling markets of Cuzco
- Raft through the Andes mountains and hike to the colorful Rainbow Mountain
- Meet friendly alpacas and local artisans at a nearby textile cooperative
- Take a train to visit the sacred citadel of Machu Picchu
- Help improve basic health for local communities through infrastructural projects (21-Day Flagship Program Only)
- Embark on a two-day expedition to the enchanted Humantay Lagoon and Chonta Canyon (21- Day Flagship Program Only)
On This Program you will...
This program is a real opportunity to learn about public health as a basic human need while helping to carry out important health campaigns in one of the most exciting and culturally rich landscapes in the world. Work alongside local medical professionals to provide care to remote highland communities through traveling clinics. Stay for 21 days and gain additional field experience through infrastructural projects that improve the hygiene, health, and quality of life for Quechua families.
Your Adventure is Just Around the Corner!
Shadow medical professionals as they deliver campaigns on holistic health and medical awareness. Learn about traveling clinics that provide free, quality care to remote Andean communities that otherwise would not have access to healthcare.
The 21-day program will include physical service in addition to shadow-learning. Work on public health projects that improve living conditions for rural families and learn how initiatives such as building chimney stoves and food dehydrators can contribute to locals’ long-term health.
You’ll gain exposure to a wide variety of health settings and topics that help facilitate an understanding of how diversities and disparities in peoples and places impact human health. Shadow community health workers and learn diagnostic techniques. You’ll see how basic health monitoring works…and maybe pick up a few key medical terms in Spanish! In the evenings, discuss your observations, the cases you’ve witnessed and the first steps you’ll take to increase global access to healthcare.
Stay in the city of Cuzco, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, home to bustling markets and quiet stone corridors. Explore the surrounding region is home to amazing landmarks like the Sacred Valley, filled with breathtaking mountain views, Quechua communities, and ancient Inca sites. Visit the iconic Machu Picchu, the ancient citadel that has mystified and intrigued travelers for decades. Go on an exciting rafting adventure down the steep-walled and scenic river valley and hike the majestic Rainbow Mountain. Stay for 21 days and embark on a 2-day, 1-night excursion to the mystical Humantay glacial lagoon and enchanted Chonta canyon to hike and spot the biggest bird of South America, the condor!
Home Base will be a locally-owned and operated hotel in Cuzco city with ample common space for activities and meals. Students will share rooms and have access to bathrooms with hot and cold water. Food will be local and fresh, including soups, meats, potatoes, rice, vegetables, fruits and juices.
Dates & Tuition
Foundations of Global Health™
21-Day Flagship Program
|JUL 01 – JUL 21, 2023|
|JUN 14 – JUN 27, 2023|
|JUL 01 – JUL 14, 2023|
|JUL 25 – AUG 07, 2023|
Tuition Includes All In-Country Expenses Including:
- Airport pick-up/drop-off
- In-country transportation
- 3 meals per day
- Professional full-time staff and experts
- 24/7 parent support hotline during the program
- Secondary medical and evacuation insurance
- Cultural activities, lectures and excursions
- Pre-departure materials and support
- Educational materials