Understanding the EU: Brussels, Berlin & Beyond™
Explore the culture, history, and politics of four major cities that helped to shape the European Union as we know it today.
- Enter into the political center of the European Union and visit the EU Parliament
- Mark the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, and other iconic Parisian monuments off your bucket list
- Learn about Berlin through its famous street art and an interactive art workshop
- Tour the Netherlands the Dutch way via bicycle
- Meet with local politicians, EU representatives, and local leaders to discuss key issues and policies
- Spend a half day helping out in the local community with a service project
On This Program you will...
Travel to the Netherlands, Belgium, France, and Germany, exploring the cities that have helped to shape the European Union as we know it today. Meet locals along the way and get the inside scoop on the culture and unique flavors of each city you visit. Explore a wide variety of current topics; from sustainability and climate change initiatives in the Netherlands to human rights issues in Brussels, learn from knowledgeable experts as you soak in the culture, history, and current climate of key players in the European Union.
Your Adventure is Just Around the Corner!
- Arrive in Amsterdam, the largest city in the Netherlands and one of the world’s leaders in environmental conservation
- Spend a day in Volendam for the true “Holland” experience
- Onward to Belgium, with stops in Brussels and Bruges, once one of the world’s chief commercial cities famous for its picturesque canals
- Enjoy bustling Paris, home of the Eiffel Tower and one of Europe’s main players
- Small yet inlfluential Luxembourg is up next
- Explore Germany starting with ancient Cologne
- Dive into the history of Berlin in World War II and its current challenges
Meet an official from Luxembourg and discuss this small but influential country’s role in shaping the development of the EU. Discuss the importance of social welfare in European lawmaking with a delegate from an EU organization. Meet a local farmer for a cheese and clog farm visit and participate in a debate about EU agricultural policies. Visit Paris’ Immigration Museum and dive deep into one of the biggest challenges facing the Europe, and the world, today.
Discover Amsterdam’s picturesque city center via a cruise on its famous canals. Create your own Belgian chocolate in a confectionary workshop. Climb to the top of the Eiffel Tower and enjoy the views from what at was one time the tallest building in the world.
Lodging info coming soon.
Looking to experience Europe this summer? You might get a whole lot more.
Where our service-learning programs go deep, Europe Discovery programs go broad. These experiences deliver on our exploratory travel methodology to immerse students in a country or theme through a series of locations deliberately selected for their impact and significance–iconic monuments, historical sites, and cultural exploration are all on the agenda. This program type is ideal for students who are curious about or have a strong interest in history, culture, the arts, contemporary issues, and the role of each city or region on the global stage.
Dates & Tuition
Understanding the EU: Brussels, Berlin & Beyond™
|June 22 – July 5, 2020|
|July 6 – July 19, 2020|
Tuition Includes All In-Country Expenses Including:
- All educational materials
- 3 meals per day
- All in-country transportation
- Airport pick-up/drop-off
- Professional full-time staff and experts from the USA/Europe
- 24/7 Parent Support Hotline during the program
- Secondary medical and travel insurance
- All cultural activities, lectures and weekend excursions
- Pre-departure materials and support
Chat with Past Participants on Facebook
Custom Group Travel Option
Global Leadership Adventures offers open enrollment on this program to any high school student who wishes to join any of the summer session dates listed above. Students will meet other teens from around the country and the world who sign up for the same program dates and destination.
Alternatively, this program is also available as an option for custom group travel any time of the year for those looking to put together their own group trip.
GLA Custom Group Travel works with educators, group leaders, or self-led students to create a tailored experience for their specific group of 12 or more students. Select a pre-designed itinerary or select your own countries, themes, and learning objectives; regardless, GLA provides a safe environment for participants to learn, grow and challenge themselves with their fellow travel mates. Our local partners help bring foreign cultures to life, providing the critical context only a local resident could provide, and granting our students locals-only access to off-the-beaten-path experiences.
Leadership and personal growth are the core components of all of our programs, regardless of duration, destination or theme type and can be woven throughout every aspect of the experience as desired by the group leader. Our programs aim to ignite participants to become inspired to be the change.