United Kingdom: Myths, Legends & the Modern Day™
Explore England & Scotland through their lore & legends, from the medieval to the modern.
- Get the inside scoop on British politics from a former member of parliament
- See in-person the inspiration for many of the locations from the Harry Potter films, including Hogwarts and Diagon Alley
- Visit Shakespeare’s birthplace in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Explore the mystical and mysterious Stonehenge
- Cruise the deep, mysterious waters of Loch Ness
- Spend time at several famous castles, including Alnwick, Warwick, and Windsor
- Spend a half day helping out in the local community with a service project
On This Program you will...
On this program you will travel from London, England to Scotland’s Loch Ness as you survey the United Kingdom from south to north. Explore the importance of folklore and the impact that stories and legends have on a culture. Explore the cultural impact that folklore and legends have on this diverse nation through key sites from medieval stories to modern day films. We’ll also dive deep into economic, political, and global issues that the UK currently faces, hearing firsthand the varying perspectives of locals on Brexit and what that means for the future of the United Kingdom.
Your Adventure is Just Around the Corner!
- Begin your journey in London, England’s capital city
- Next, stop in Windsor, home of Queen Elizabeth and the birthplace of the Magna Carta Marvel at the mysterious and ancient Stonehenge and feel the magic of Oxford, where Tolkein penned his most famous works
- Onward to Stratford-upon-Avon, William Shakespeare’s old stomping grounds
- Walk the medieval cobblestone streets of northern towns York and Nottingham
- Cross into Scotland and explore Edinburgh and St. Andrews through local pasttimes and ancient castles
- Wrap up your program in Loch Lomond, home of the famous battle depicted in the film Braveheart, before saying your goodbyes
Spend an afternoon at the mystical Stonehenge, the world’s most architecturally sophisticated prehistoric stone circle. Meet with a Scottish highlander and learn about the history of clans and rivalry and the Scottish view of Brexit. Hear from a former British MP (member of Parliament) and get the inside scoop on England’s political history and current relations with the EU. Understand a culture through its food as you sample traditional British and Scottish cuisine such as a full English breakfast and haggis and potatoes.
Take in London views on a cruise up the River Thames with stops at Buckingham Palace and St. Paul’s Cathedral. Harry Potter fans will take special delight in a visit to Warner Brothers Studio for a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the film series. Experience the glamour of London’s theatre life at a West End show and test your archery skills a la Robin Hood. In St. Andrews, enjoy a day on the links with tips from a professional in the region where golf originated almost 600 years ago.
Lodging info coming soon.
Looking to experience Europe this summer? You might get a whole lot more.
Where our service-learning programs go deep, Europe Discovery programs go broad. These experiences deliver on our exploratory travel methodology to immerse students in a country or theme through a series of locations deliberately selected for their impact and significance–iconic monuments, historical sites, and cultural exploration are all on the agenda. This program type is ideal for students who are curious about or have a strong interest in history, culture, the arts, contemporary issues, and the role of each city or region on the global stage.
Dates & Tuition
United Kingdom: Myths, Legends & the Modern Day™
|June 22 – July 3, 2020|
|July 6 – July 17, 2020|
Tuition Includes All In-Country Expenses Including:
- All educational materials
- 3 meals per day
- All in-country transportation
- Airport pick-up/drop-off
- Professional full-time staff and experts from the USA/Europe
- 24/7 Parent Support Hotline during the program
- Secondary medical and travel insurance
- All cultural activities, lectures and weekend excursions
- Pre-departure materials and support
Chat with Past Participants on Facebook
Custom Group Travel Option
Global Leadership Adventures offers open enrollment on this program to any high school student who wishes to join any of the summer session dates listed above. Students will meet other teens from around the country and the world who sign up for the same program dates and destination.
Alternatively, this program is also available as an option for custom group travel any time of the year for those looking to put together their own group trip.
GLA Custom Group Travel works with educators, group leaders, or self-led students to create a tailored experience for their specific group of 12 or more students. Select a pre-designed itinerary or select your own countries, themes, and learning objectives; regardless, GLA provides a safe environment for participants to learn, grow and challenge themselves with their fellow travel mates. Our local partners help bring foreign cultures to life, providing the critical context only a local resident could provide, and granting our students locals-only access to off-the-beaten-path experiences.
Leadership and personal growth are the core components of all of our programs, regardless of duration, destination or theme type and can be woven throughout every aspect of the experience as desired by the group leader. Our programs aim to ignite participants to become inspired to be the change.