Thailand: Hospital & Health Initiative™
Get caught up in Thailand’s wonders as you rotate through different hospital departments.
- Observe doctors and nurses as you rotate through departments at a local hospital
- Teach local children about the role that good hygiene plays in overall health
- Spend a day at an elephant sanctuary and learn about Thailand’s gentle giants
- Take in the sights and sounds at a vibrant street market
- Enjoy a weekend excursion to Koh Samet island, part of Khao Laem Ya–Mu Ko Samet National Park
- Try your hand at cooking (and eating!) local cuisine
On This Program you will...
Explore the convergence of eastern and western medicine in Thailand through observing a variety of healthcare facilities. Find out what healthcare looks like for Thai people through site visits to several different medical care settings. Give your tastebuds a treat with a variety of delicious Thai dishes, some of which you’ll learn to cook yourself! Immerse yourself in a bright and vibrant culture unlike any other on earth.
Your Adventure is Just Around the Corner!
Good health starts with good hygiene! Help to educate kindergarten children from under-privileged families on the basics: washing hands, brushing teeth, and keeping communicable diseases like colds from spreading. Volunteer in a children’s hospital ward bringing joy to the young patients’ lives through games and fun activities. Spend a full day of service at a government run home for children with both physical and mental disabilities in order to have a holistic look at patient care.
Observe doctors and nurses in both public and private healthcare facilities: you’ll let them take the lead and learn from the pros at different departments throughout each type of medical facility. Explore the ways in which modern healthcare and traditional Thai medicinal methods such as massage, acupuncture, and herbal remedies coexist in Thailand today. A trip to Thailand isn’t complete without a crash course in Thai, a hands-on cooking class, and visits to some of the area’s most well-known temples.
Get up close and personal with Asian elephants at an elephant sanctuary, where you’ll have the opportunity to feed and bathe the animals. Visit some of the most beautiful and famous temples and cultural sites that Bangkok has to offer, including the Grand Palace and the Temple of the Emerald Buddha. Travel to the island of Ko Samet for a weekend of beach activities and relaxation on one of Thailand’s most picturesque beaches. Pick up local handicrafts and snacks in a vibrant Bangkok street market.
Lodging info coming coon.
Are you passionate about making a difference in the health of families living in remote areas of the world?
- Discover the unique challenges of providing adequate medical care in rural communities while contributing to this cause
- Build facilities that directly improve the health of the community
- Learn what it’s like to be a doctor, nurse or global health worker in a developing country
- Go beyond typical public health mission trips for teens, and compare the healthcare practices of the western world with traditional medicine from the region
Dates & Tuition
Hospital & Health Initiative™
|July 9 – July 22, 2020|
Tuition Includes All In-Country Expenses Including:
- All educational materials
- 3 meals per day
- All in-country transportation
- Airport pick-up/drop-off
- Professional full-time staff and experts from the USA/Europe
- 24/7 Parent Support Hotline during the program
- Secondary medical and travel insurance
- All cultural activities, lectures and weekend excursions
- Pre-departure materials and support
Chat with Past Participants on Facebook
Custom Group Travel Option
Global Leadership Adventures offers open enrollment on this program to any high school student who wishes to join any of the summer session dates listed above. Students will meet other teens from around the country and the world who sign up for the same program dates and destination.
Alternatively, this program is also available as an option for custom group travel any time of the year for those looking to put together their own group trip.
GLA Custom Group Travel works with educators, group leaders, or self-led students to create a tailored experience for their specific group of 12 or more students. Select a pre-designed itinerary or select your own countries, themes, and learning objectives. GLA’s service-learning methodology is the vehicle through which students learn, grow and challenge themselves and their fellow travelers; our host communities welcome students’ energy and helping hands.
Leadership and personal growth are the core components of all of our programs, regardless of duration, destination or theme type and can be woven throughout every aspect of the experience through our intentional design as desired by the group leader. Our programs aim to ignite participants to become inspired to be the change.
The GLA Community