Spain: Cultural Crossroads Past & Present™
Spain is a melting pot of cultural influence – uncover the history of Spain as a cultural crossroads from Moorish influence to current immigration issues.
- Explore four Spanish cities, each with a distinct cultural identitiy
- Visit La Sagrada Familia-one of Gaudi’s architectural masterpieces and a UNESCO World Heritage site
- Sample paella, one of the region’s signature dishes
- Learn about Spain’s current political situation and the bid for Catalonian independence
- Spend a half day helping out in the local community with a service project
On This Program you will...
Travel to four Spanish cities, each with its own unique history, culture, and challenges in today’s world. Explore central, southern, and northeastern Spain, finding the common threads and exploring key differences across this historically significant region as you go. Spain’s proximity to northern Africa and its access to both the Mediterranean and the Atlantic Ocean has contributed to an integrated, multi-faceted culture. Mark some of Spain’s most famous cathedrals off your list, but also visit cities with strong Jewish and Islamic influences. Explore Spain’s role in the European Union and the world, throughout history and present-day.
Your Adventure is Just Around the Corner!
- Start your adventure in the Spanish capital of Madrid and nearby Segovia in a region of Spain with deep Roman influence
- Travel south to the Andalusian cities of Cordoba and Granada, two cities with strong Jewish and Islamic influences in an otherwise predominantly Catholic country and home to Granada
- Visit the Alhambra fort and the nearby Mosque-Cathedral
- Fly northeast to wrap up in coastal Barcelona for a taste of Catalonia and the city’s beautiful man-made beaches
Explore a side of Barcelona that most will never see via a tour led by a member of the city’s homeless population that will give you a feel for the day-to-day life of a displaced person. Learn about Catalonia’s long and complex history from locals with varying perspectives. Visit Córdoba’s Mosque-Cathedral, a holy site that has been contested between Catholics and Muslims for hundreds of years.
Expand your culinary knowledge and delight your taste buds with a tapas tour. Dance the Flamenco in Andalusia, where the art form originated. Do as the locals do and treat yourself to a traditional hammam, or steam bath, a practice brought to Spain by the Moors centuries ago. Marvel at the intricate tile-work and architecture of Basilica Sagrada Familia.
Lodging info coming soon.
Looking to experience Europe this summer? You might get a whole lot more.
Where our service-learning programs go deep, Europe Discovery programs go broad. These experiences deliver on our exploratory travel methodology to immerse students in a country or theme through a series of locations deliberately selected for their impact and significance–iconic monuments, historical sites, and cultural exploration are all on the agenda. This program type is ideal for students who are curious about or have a strong interest in history, culture, the arts, contemporary issues, and the role of each city or region on the global stage.
Dates & Tuition
Cultural Crossroads Past & Present™
|June 22 – July 3, 2020|
|July 6 – July 17, 2020|
Tuition Includes All In-Country Expenses Including:
- All educational materials
- 3 meals per day
- All in-country transportation
- Airport pick-up/drop-off
- Professional full-time staff and experts from the USA/Europe
- 24/7 Parent Support Hotline during the program
- Secondary medical and travel insurance
- All cultural activities, lectures and weekend excursions
- Pre-departure materials and support
Chat with Past Participants on Facebook
Custom Group Travel Option
Global Leadership Adventures offers open enrollment on this program to any high school student who wishes to join any of the summer session dates listed above. Students will meet other teens from around the country and the world who sign up for the same program dates and destination.
Alternatively, this program is also available as an option for custom group travel any time of the year for those looking to put together their own group trip.
GLA Custom Group Travel works with educators, group leaders, or self-led students to create a tailored experience for their specific group of 12 or more students. Select a pre-designed itinerary or select your own countries, themes, and learning objectives; regardless, GLA provides a safe environment for participants to learn, grow and challenge themselves with their fellow travel mates. Our local partners help bring foreign cultures to life, providing the critical context only a local resident could provide, and granting our students locals-only access to off-the-beaten-path experiences.
Leadership and personal growth are the core components of all of our programs, regardless of duration, destination or theme type and can be woven throughout every aspect of the experience as desired by the group leader. Our programs aim to ignite participants to become inspired to be the change.