South Africa: Global Health & Advocacy Project™
Travel to rural South Africa, where you’ll help provide crucial health education to a community in a secluded village town.
- Experience true cultural immersion in a rural South African community
- Observe community health workers in a mobile health clinic
- Learn about the challenges of providing healthcare in remote areas of the African continent
- Hike the Drakensberg mountains, famous for its many peaks and magnificent scenery
- Zipline amidst the stunning natural beauty of the mountains
On This Program you will...
Live in Geluksburg, which means “happy mountains” in rural Kwa-Zulu Natal. This rural village town, like many others, has limited resources for primary health care and basic first aid. Become accustomed to the Zulu culture as you participate in a home visit, meet with the local chief and eat a traditional Zulu meal. The rolling mist and tranquility of the surrounding Drakensberg mountain peaks will make for a one-of-a-kind experience on the southern tip of the African continent.
Your Adventure is Just Around the Corner!
Public health is an ongoing issue in South Africa: An access gap for health care facilities exist between upper and lower socio-economic households. Raise awareness in the community of Geluksburg, a community where primary health care options are currently non-existent through advocacy. Facilitate nourishment and healthy living workshops with local students and their parents, providing them with basic wellness kits and information on how to utilize them. Students will learn about the importance of a balanced diet and how to maintain a diet within a low budget.
Immerse yourself in a Zulu community with a home visit, dancing and drumming lessons, and a visit to a traditional healer. Meet with the local Chief and learn about Zulu culture and history. You’ll see why healthcare in rural South Africa is so crucial – the access gap between urban and rural parts of the country has a big effect on the public health system. Observe health care workers and visit local clinics in Geluksburg, then compare and contrast the public and private health care systems.
Your adventure starts on the journey to Home Base, a unique village town nestled high in the mountains. Later, hike part of the Drakensberg mountain range, known for its famous peaks and brimming with incredible waterfalls, streams, caves, crisp mountain air and spectacular views. This UNESCO World Heritage Site draws both locals and tourists from around the globe alike. You will also get the chance to go ziplining through the stunning forest canopy and enjoy a unique birds-eye view of landscapes unique to this region of South Africa.
You’ll spend your first night in Johannesburg in a cozy guesthouse, and then depart as a group on day 2 to your Home Base, a converted farmhouse nestled in a remote community. Students will stay in gender-segregated rooms with roommates, and have access to en suite bathrooms with hot water showers. Wake up every day to the amazing scenic views of the Drakensberg mountain range. This Home Base is located in the heart of the community where you’ll work on your service project.
Are you passionate about making a difference in the health of families living in remote areas of the world?
- Discover the unique challenges of providing adequate medical care in rural communities while contributing to this cause
- Build facilities that directly improve the health of the community
- Learn what it’s like to be a doctor, nurse or global health worker in a developing country
- Go beyond typical public health mission trips for teens, and compare the healthcare practices of the western world with traditional medicine from the region
Dates & Tuition
Global Health & Advocacy Project™
|June 27 – July 10, 2020|
|July 13 – July 26, 2020|
Tuition Includes All In-Country Expenses Including:
- All educational materials
- 3 meals per day
- All in-country transportation
- Airport pick-up/drop-off
- Professional full-time staff and experts from the USA/Europe
- 24/7 Parent Support Hotline during the program
- Secondary medical and travel insurance
- All cultural activities, lectures and weekend excursions
- Pre-departure materials and support
Chat with Past Participants on Facebook
Custom Group Travel Option
Global Leadership Adventures offers open enrollment on this program to any high school student who wishes to join any of the summer session dates listed above. Students will meet other teens from around the country and the world who sign up for the same program dates and destination.
Alternatively, this program is also available as an option for custom group travel any time of the year for those looking to put together their own group trip.
GLA Custom Group Travel works with educators, group leaders, or self-led students to create a tailored experience for their specific group of 12 or more students. Select a pre-designed itinerary or select your own countries, themes, and learning objectives. GLA’s service-learning methodology is the vehicle through which students learn, grow and challenge themselves and their fellow travelers; our host communities welcome students’ energy and helping hands.
Leadership and personal growth are the core components of all of our programs, regardless of duration, destination or theme type and can be woven throughout every aspect of the experience through our intentional design as desired by the group leader. Our programs aim to ignite participants to become inspired to be the change.