Peru: Llama & Animal Service Adventure™
Please note: This program is not available for Open Enrollment for 2020. Please see below for Custom Group Travel options.
Explore the culturally-rich Peruvian highlands through llama-based projects and community initiatives.
- Learn about camelids, including llamas and alpacas, from a local herding community
- Spend a day at the mystical Machu Picchu
- Explore the picturesque Rainbow Mountain
- Assist in mobile veterinary clinics in rural communities
- Explore different weaving techniques and types of natural fibers
On This Program you will...
On this program you will serve the animals that are an integral part of rural South American life. Peruvians have been relying on llamas as pack animals and since they were domesticated centuries ago. Alpacas, guanacos, and vicuñas each have a role to play, both in the culture, traditions, and rural economies of Peruvian herders. Work alongside veterinarians in a pop up clinic and help spread awareness about pet ownership as you explore the sights, sounds, and tastes of Peru!
Your Adventure is Just Around the Corner!
There are many opportunities in Peru to make a difference in the lives of its four-legged residents. Lend a hand on infrastructure improvements and get some hands-on experience with animals in need at a local facility. Work directly with veterinarians to spay and neuter domestic animals both in shelters and for low-income families through a mobile veterinary clinic.
Find out all there is to know about llamas, alpacas, and other animals in the camelid family from local herding communities who train and maintain the animals for use in tourism. Peru is famous for its alpaca textiles; learn about natural fibers and traditional weaving techniques. You’ll also have the opportunity to participate an interactive art workshop. Taste traditional Peruvian cuisine such as rocoto relleno, papas or ceviche, the national dish.
Embark upon an exciting rafting adventure down the steep-walled and scenic river valley. Visit the aptly-named and picturesque Rainbow Mountain, famous for its varicolored slopes. Finally, behold the majestic Machu Picchu, a UNESCO World Heritage Site: It is also very popular with the llamas, and you’ll also see them enjoying the ruins alongside you!
Lodging info coming soon.
Are you passionate about making a difference in the lives of animals?
- Collaborate with experts on issues surrounding animal & wildlife conservation
- Spend time up-close and personal with elephants, giant tortoises, or rescue animals such as cats and dogs
- Work side-by-side with your teen animal volunteer team as you help find homes for animals who have been injured or abandoned
- Contribute to sustainable habitat projects that will help these animals to flourish
Dates & Tuition
Llama & Animal Service Adventure
Please note: This program is not available for Open Enrollment for 2020. Please see below for Custom Group Travel Options.
Tuition Includes All In-Country Expenses Including:
- All educational materials
- 3 meals per day
- All in-country transportation
- Airport pick-up/drop-off
- Professional full-time staff and experts from the USA/Europe
- 24/7 Parent Support Hotline during the program
- Secondary medical and travel insurance
- All cultural activities, lectures and weekend excursions
- Pre-departure materials and support
Chat with Past Participants on Facebook
Custom Group Travel Option
Global Leadership Adventures offers open enrollment on this program to any high school student who wishes to join any of the summer session dates listed above. Students will meet other teens from around the country and the world who sign up for the same program dates and destination.
Alternatively, this program is also available as an option for custom group travel any time of the year for those looking to put together their own group trip.
GLA Custom Group Travel works with educators, group leaders, or self-led students to create a tailored experience for their specific group of 12 or more students. Select a pre-designed itinerary or select your own countries, themes, and learning objectives. GLA’s service-learning methodology is the vehicle through which students learn, grow and challenge themselves and their fellow travelers; our host communities welcome students’ energy and helping hands.
Leadership and personal growth are the core components of all of our programs, regardless of duration, destination or theme type and can be woven throughout every aspect of the experience through our intentional design as desired by the group leader. Our programs aim to ignite participants to become inspired to be the change.
The GLA Community
Error: No feed found.
Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.