Peru: Children of the Andes™
This program is not running during the 2023 season and is planned to return in summer 2024.
Transform children’s lives—teach, mentor, volunteer and learn in the rural Andean communities of Peru.
- Lead meaningful extracurricular activities in the classroom for preschool students and engage in infrastructural projects that enhance the school’s academic environment
- Embark on a two-day hiking expedition through the stunning Sacred Valley
- Visit key Incan archaeological sites, such as Machu Picchu, Maras, and Moray
- Whitewater raft through a stunning river valley and hike Rainbow Mountain
- Explore Cuzco’s cobblestone streets and bustling artisan markets
- Engage with various Quechua communities to learn about daily life
On This Program you will...
Go beyond the tourist mindset and connect with local communities and students to learn about the nuances of daily life in Cuzco. Gain hands-on classroom experience through providing enriching extracurriculars and programming to children at an urban school. Boost morale through school infrastructure and beautification projects. After service, take in Cuzco’s magnificence: From Andean peaks to orchid-rich cloud forests, wild rivers and a thriving mecca of colorful markets and ancient history.
Your Adventure is Just Around the Corner!
Make changes for the better in an urban Cuzco-area school! Lead educational activities in English language, art, music, theatre and sports for preschool students; when school is out of session, facilitate interactive camp-style programming for low-income students. Get your hands dirty as you partake in infrastructural projects that enhance the academic environment, such as building a school garden or finishing a dormitory where rural students can live and study.
Meet local leaders who are impacting Peruvian children and education in positive ways. Understand the web of social issues associated with access to education for youth, and how you can help make a difference. Participate in a traditional Andean ceremony giving thanks to Mother Earth, led by a local healer. Visit several rural Quechua communities and connect with locals who will teach you about traditional music, dance and agricultural and artisanal methods.
Challenge yourself on two separate overnight hikes to Cuzco’s best-kept secrets: the archaeological site of Huchuy Qosqo and Rainbow Mountain. Raft through a stunning river valley and visit key historical and archaeological sites of the Inca Empire. Browse colorful, hand-woven textiles at the local market, take a walking tour through Cuzco and observe traditional ceremonies and practices that date to the Inca era.
Home Base is a locally-owned hotel in Cuzco. Students will stay in gender-segregated rooms and have access to shared, en-suite bathrooms. During both overnight excursions, students will have the opportunity to stay in dorm-style housing in Quechua communities.
Are you passionate about improving the lives of children?
- Tutor abroad and provide education to children at school and outside the classroom
- Be a friend and role model to the youngest generation
- Inspire local children to dream big and achieve their ambitions
- Leave a lasting impact on the community through infrastructure improvements at local schools
Dates & Tuition
Children of the Andes™
21-Day Flagship Program
Tuition Includes All In-Country Expenses Including:
- All educational materials
- 3 meals per day
- All in-country transportation
- Airport pick-up/drop-off
- Professional full-time staff and experts from the USA/Europe
- 24/7 Parent Support Hotline during the program
- Secondary medical and travel insurance
- All cultural activities, lectures and weekend excursions
- Pre-departure materials and support