Italy: Rome, Renaissance & the Modern State™
Discover Italy and experience the sights, sounds, and tastes that have developed over centuries and shaped the world.
- See the Sistine Chapel, the Vatican Chapel’s artistic masterpiece
- Meet with local NGOs and collectives to gain a deeper understanding of politics in Italy today
- Learn to make your own pizza and sample traditional Italian cuisine
- Experience Venice through a gondola ride in one of its famous canals
- Spend a half day helping out in the local community with a service project
On This Program you will...
Travel to Italy’s most magnificent and historically significant cities, where you’ll explore the vibrant culture but also the consequences of a poor state management, the current migrant crisis and the rise of populist parties. Follow a path through the history of Rome and the Roman Empire, the Renaissance in Florence, and the rise and fall of the Republic of Venice. Gain a holistic understanding of Italy’s political, social and economic situation, with focus on the economic divide, the fragmentation and immobility of the Italian political system, the role of Italy in Europe today.
Your Adventure is Just Around the Corner!
- Arrive in Rome, Italy’s capital city and home of the Sistine Chapel and Colosseum
- Journey northward to Siena and Florence, key cities in the Renaissance famous for their picturesque narrow streets and historic brick buildings
- Enjoy activities in historic Bologna, legendary for its quintessential Italian cuisine
- Wrap up the experience in the northern city of Venice, the “Floating City” known for its romantic waterways and ornamental bridges
Meet with a local group that is active in environmental protection as well as an organization that assists with migrant integration. Debate about problems facing Italian society today and hear about and innovative methods for civil society participation. Learn about the world-renowned Carnival of Venice from the costume designers and others who are involved in its production.
Take a walking tour of Florence, complete with a stop at a gelateria to sample ice cream’s milkier, denser Italian cousin. No trip to Italy is complete without tasting pizza where it originated–take a cooking class and create your own pie. Attend an interactive gladiator workshop in the very city that the ancient warriors trained in centuries past.
Lodging info coming soon.
Looking to experience Europe this summer? You might get a whole lot more.
Where our service-learning programs go deep, Europe Discovery programs go broad. These experiences deliver on our exploratory travel methodology to immerse students in a country or theme through a series of locations deliberately selected for their impact and significance–iconic monuments, historical sites, and cultural exploration are all on the agenda. This program type is ideal for students who are curious about or have a strong interest in history, culture, the arts, contemporary issues, and the role of each city or region on the global stage.
Dates & Tuition
Rome, Renaissance & the Modern State™
|June 22 – July 3, 2020|
|July 6 – July 17, 2020|
Tuition Includes All In-Country Expenses Including:
- All educational materials
- 3 meals per day
- All in-country transportation
- Airport pick-up/drop-off
- Professional full-time staff and experts from the USA/Europe
- 24/7 Parent Support Hotline during the program
- Secondary medical and travel insurance
- All cultural activities, lectures and weekend excursions
- Pre-departure materials and support
Chat with Past Participants on Facebook
Custom Group Travel Option
Global Leadership Adventures offers open enrollment on this program to any high school student who wishes to join any of the summer session dates listed above. Students will meet other teens from around the country and the world who sign up for the same program dates and destination.
Alternatively, this program is also available as an option for custom group travel any time of the year for those looking to put together their own group trip.
GLA Custom Group Travel works with educators, group leaders, or self-led students to create a tailored experience for their specific group of 12 or more students. Select a pre-designed itinerary or select your own countries, themes, and learning objectives; regardless, GLA provides a safe environment for participants to learn, grow and challenge themselves with their fellow travel mates. Our local partners help bring foreign cultures to life, providing the critical context only a local resident could provide, and granting our students locals-only access to off-the-beaten-path experiences.
Leadership and personal growth are the core components of all of our programs, regardless of duration, destination or theme type and can be woven throughout every aspect of the experience as desired by the group leader. Our programs aim to ignite participants to become inspired to be the change.