Italy: Rome, Renaissance & the Modern State™
Discover Italy and experience the sights, sounds, and tastes that have developed over centuries and shaped the world.
- See the Sistine Chapel, the Vatican Chapel's artistic masterpiece
- Meet with local NGOs and collectives to gain a deeper understanding of politics in Italy today
- Learn to make your own pizza and sample traditional Italian cuisine
- Experience Venice through a gondola ride in one of its famous canals
- Spend a half day helping out in the local community with a service project
On this program, you will travel to Italy's most magnificent and historically significant cities, where you'll explore the vibrant culture but also the consequences of a poor state management, the current migrant crisis and the rise of populist parties. Follow a path through the history of Rome and the Roman Empire, the Renaissance in Florence, and the rise and fall of the Republic of Venice. Gain a holistic understanding of Italy’s political, social and economic situation, with focus on the economic divide, the fragmentation and immobility of the Italian political system, the role of Italy in Europe today.
Your Adventure is Just Around the Corner!
- Arrive in Rome, Italy's capital city and home of the Sistine Chapel and Colosseum
- Journey northward to Siena and Florence, key cities in the Renaissance famous for their picturesque narrow streets and historic brick buildings
- Enjoy activities in historic Bologna, legendary for its quintissential Italian cuisine
- Wrap up the experience in the northern city of Venice, the "Floating City" known for its romantic waterways and ornamental bridges
Meet with a local group that is active in environmental protection as well as an organization that assists with migrant integration. Debate about problems facing Italian society today and hear about and innovative methods for civil society participation. Learn about the world-renowned Carnival of Venice from the costume designers and others who are involved in its production.
Take a walking tour of Florence, complete with a stop at a gelateria to sample ice cream's milkier, denser Italian cousin. No trip to Italy is complete without tasting pizza where it originated--take a cooking class and create your own pie. Attend an interactive gladiator workshop in the very city that the ancient warriors trained in centuries past.
Dates & Tuition
Italy: Rome, Renaissance & the Modern State™ 12-Day Program
|Jun 22 - Jul 3, 2020|
|Jul 6 - Jul 17, 2020|
- All educational materials
- 3 meals per day
- All in-country transportation
- Airport pick-up/drop-off
- Professional full-time staff and experts from the USA/Europe
- 24/7 Parent Support Hotline during the program
- Secondary medical and travel insurance
- All cultural activities, lectures and weekend excursions
- Pre-departure materials and support