Greece: Mythology, Philosophy & Modern Democracy™
Explore Greece, from the ancient wonders of the world's most influential civilization, to the complexities of modern life.
- Check out the ancient Acropolis of Athens citadel, a UNESCO World Heritage Site which includes the Parthenon and Temple of Athena Nike
- Sail along the caldera of Santorini in a traditional wooden boat, just like a true argonaut
- Climb atop Nea Kameni, a famous volcano
- Dive deep into Greek mythology through site visits, guest speakers, and local lore
- Spend a half day helping out in the local community with a service project
On this program you will travel to some of Greece's most influential and picturesque cities. From Socrates and Aristotle who formed the basis for modern philosophy and the sciences to creating the first democratic society, Greece has been and continues to be a major influencer of Europe and the world. Explore ancient ruins and modern issues, including immigration and the country's recent financial challenges. Develop your leadership skills and connect with locals as you discover all Greece has to offer!
Your Adventure is Just Around the Corner!
- Your adventure begins in Athens, a treasure trove of ancient civilization that has been incredibly memorialized in the form of ruins, museums, and iconic spaces that are still in use.
- Ferry to Crete, Greece's largest island and, according to Greek mythology, the birthplace of Zeus himself.
- Stay and explore Heraklion and Rethymno, as well as several other colorful villages on the island. See what everyday life looks like for a small-town Cretan.
- Sail through the Aegean Sea to the dreamy island of Santorini, known for its whitewashed cube dwellings.
Pay a visit to the Byzantine Monastery of Preveli, where the monks are notably active in the community and have continued to advocate for education and personal freedoms for centuries. Visit a Crete resident and learn about the island's history, culture, and foods--you may even get to taste a home-baked treat!
Kayak on the cerulean waters of Heraion Lagoon and enjoy water games and lunch on the beach. See Athens by bike, stopping to explore the city's historic center including the Panathenaic Stadium. Take a dip in Santorini's volcanic hot springs.
Dates & Tuition
Greece: Mythology, Philosophy & Modern Democracy™ 12-Day Program
|Jun 22 - Jul 3, 2020|
|Jul 6 - Jul 17, 2020|
- All educational materials
- 3 meals per day
- All in-country transportation
- Airport pick-up/drop-off
- Professional full-time staff and experts from the USA/Europe
- 24/7 Parent Support Hotline during the program
- Secondary medical and travel insurance
- All cultural activities, lectures and weekend excursions
- Pre-departure materials and support