South Africa: Safari Service Expedition™
Conserve and restore black rhino habitat as you explore ties between communities and the natural world in South Africa.
- Participate in a black rhino conservation program and learn the ropes from wildlife experts
- Be immersed in South African traditions, from Zulu storytelling to open fire cooking
- Participate in a preschool building project that provides opportunities for local youth
- See the big five animals - lions, elephants, Cape buffalo, leopards and rhinoceros - in their natural habitat
- Take to the waters on a Pongola River adventure (21-Day Flagship Program Only)
South Africa is known for its incredibly diverse communities, but its wildlife and ecosystems are just as wide and varied as its villages and cities. Throughout this program, you'll take a hands-on role contributing to conservation projects that aid the most at-risk animal populations in the country, with a particular focus on the rare black rhino. These majestic creatures once numbered in the tens of thousands, but now, only about 3,000 remain despite rigorous protection efforts. You'll learn from NGOs and local partners how poaching and economics both contribute to their population decline, and how they're countering these with positive efforts on the ground. You'll also get to see lions, elephants, Cape buffalo and leopards, not to mention experience traditional Zulu ceremonies. On our 21-Day flagship program, you'll also lend a hand in preserving native marine habitat on a coastal service project, and take an excursion down the immense Pongola River.