Costa Rica: Surf & Ocean Stewardship Adventure
Awaken your inner self as you ride Costa Rica’s waves and connect with the local community through your environmental efforts.
- Learn to ride the waves from seasoned veterans
- Organize a community service event for children and locals
- Become a steward of marine conservation, community action, and sustainability
- Go whitewater rafting
- Explore the waterfalls and lush jungle of Corcovado National Park
On This Program you will...
Learn how to paddle out, pop up and trim across Costa Rica’s pristine waves from seasoned members of the local surf community. Connect deeply with community leaders of Bahia Ballena, your beachside home, and organize a community service event for local children and citizens. Consider the role that sustainable development plays in Tico society, and spend your days surfing and engaging in high-energy volunteering and outdoor adventure.
Your Adventure is Just Around the Corner!
Work with community leaders and organizations taking action on meaningful initiatives. Service will be a mixture of projects, including hands-on infrastructure building and community refurbishment, and your hosts will weave in project design and management skills throughout. Additionally, learn to organize and execute a service project with children and locals, as well as educate visitors and residents on acute environmental issues.
Living and volunteering in Bahia Ballena will introduce you to the major role the ocean plays in daily life—not only in Costa Rica, but around the world. You’ll learn about surfing origins, observe a sustainability-driven lifestyle, and visit a board shaping bay. Engage in discussions on ocean conservation and the climate. Witness ongoing programs driven by local organizations providing solutions to some of the community’s challenges, and learn methods and philosophies that you can apply to your own projects.
Costa Rica is known for being an outdoor adventurer’s playground, and Bahia Ballena is no exception. In addition to endless opportunities for surfing, you’ll also go on a whitewater rafting expedition that will allow you to fully appreciate this region’s rugged, untouched landscape. Hop aboard a chartered boat and adventure for a day in Corcovado National Park, where you’ll visit a breathtaking waterfall, learn about the incredibly diverse flora and fauna, and maybe even see monkeys perched in the treetops!
Home Base is a small ecolodge in Bahia Ballena, surrounded by lush gardens. Students stay in gender-segregated rooms with fans and bathrooms with cold water showers. Meals will be hearty and healthy, consisting mostly of Costa Rican staples: rice and beans, meat, vegetables and lots of tropical fruit.
Are you passionate about fostering a love for sports in others?
- Volunteer leading a day camp or youth sports clinic for children in the community, where you’ll teach kids new sports and games
- Promote a healthy lifestyle in communities where there is limited access to organized sports and nutrition education
- Refurbish playing fields and playgrounds to provide a safe, inviting space for local youth to come together and stay active
- Make a splash as you surf or kiteboard, and learn the role water sports play in the cultures of coastal communities
Dates & Tuition
Surf & Ocean Stewardship Adventure
|Jun 16 – Jun 29, 2020|
|July 2 – July 15, 2020|
|July 18 – July 31, 2020|
|August 3 – August 16, 2020|
Tuition Includes All In-Country Expenses Including:
- All educational materials
- 3 meals per day
- All in-country transportation
- Airport pick-up/drop-off
- Professional full-time staff and experts from the USA/Europe
- 24/7 Parent Support Hotline during the program
- Secondary medical and travel insurance
- All cultural activities, lectures and weekend excursions
- Pre-departure materials and support
Chat with Past Participants on Facebook
Custom Group Travel Option
Global Leadership Adventures offers open enrollment on this program to any high school student who wishes to join any of the summer session dates listed above. Students will meet other teens from around the country and the world who sign up for the same program dates and destination.
Alternatively, this program is also available as an option for custom group travel any time of the year for those looking to put together their own group trip.
GLA Custom Group Travel works with educators, group leaders, or self-led students to create a tailored experience for their specific group of 12 or more students. Select a pre-designed itinerary or select your own countries, themes, and learning objectives. GLA’s service-learning methodology is the vehicle through which students learn, grow and challenge themselves and their fellow travelers; our host communities welcome students’ energy and helping hands.
Leadership and personal growth are the core components of all of our programs, regardless of duration, destination or theme type and can be woven throughout every aspect of the experience through our intentional design as desired by the group leader. Our programs aim to ignite participants to become inspired to be the change.
The GLA Community