Costa Rica: Spring Break Sea Turtle Initiative™
Turn your passion for wildlife conservation into a spring break adventure you’ll never forget.
- Protect an endangered sea turtle nesting beach
- Assist with night patrols where you’ll walk and look out for poachers
- Spot exotic wildlife as you cruise on a boat through the mangroves
- Fly through the rainforest canopy on a zipline adventure
- Explore a small beach town and local artisan market
On This Program you will...
Dive head first into Costa Rica’s animal kingdom and its protected coastal habitats, and learn the ins and outs of the local ecosystem. Share your passion for wildlife conservation with new friends and in the community, and work together with conservationists who are striving to protect sea turtles for the next generation. Learn about why the Costa Rican sea turtle population has declined by 90% in the last 35 years alone – there are more threats than ever facing these majestic creatures. Fortunately, you can make a difference in their survival. Spring break will never be the same!
Your Adventure is Just Around the Corner!
Take to local beaches and participate in cleanup efforts, removing debris that can ensnare young hatchlings making their way to the sea. You’ll help local partners as they survey nesting sites and make sure they’re primed for the nesting mothers. You’ll be assisting on night patrols with a local nonprofit and anti-poaching organization started by a Peace Corps volunteer. Make signs that notify community members of protected nesting areas, and help educate local children on the importance of keeping the coast clean in order to preserve native habitat.
This Spring Break, discover how events as global as climate change and as local as trash buildup and boating collisions can affect the habitat of native wildlife, particularly for sea turtles. Listen as local speakers and conservationists describe their strategies for protecting the turtles and their hatchlings. Take some time to relax and celebrate the traditional Costa Rican Caribbean way—this is Spring Break, after all! From getting down at a Latin dance class to enjoying Afro-caribbean influenced dishes, you’ll have experiences that make you feel like a local.
Cruise through the mangroves and if you’re lucky, you might spot sloths, monkeys and exotic birds in the stunning nature that surrounds the rivers and coastlines. Visit a butterfly garden that is home to many species, and take an aerial tram ride. No Costa Rican spring break adventure would be complete without ziplining—soar through the jungle canopy and experience the rainforest from above the treetops on an adventure you’ll never forget.
Home Base is a rustic ecolodge nestled in the jungle, and is just a short walk to the Caribbean Sea. Students stay in gender-segregated rooms with roommates, enjoy delicious, home-cooked Costa Rican meals and have shared bathrooms with cold-water showers. If you look closely, you might even spot local wildlife in the trees surrounding the Home Base!
Want to use your Spring Break to help improve the lives of those who live in underserved communities?
- Work with local partners and NGOs to identify challenges facing the community
- Contribute to a meaningful service project that provides much-needed new spaces, like classrooms or clinics, or take part in other projects to meet local needs
- Learn how wildlife is affected by a changing planet, health care is affected by access to resources, or children are affected by available educational opportunities
- Discover unique ways that leaders around the globe are tackling challenges and improving lives
Dates & Tuition
Spring Break Sea Turtle Initiative™
|March 15 – March 22, 2020|
|April 5 – April 12, 2020|
|April 12 – April 19, 2020|
Tuition Includes All In-Country Expenses Including:
- All educational materials
- 3 meals per day
- All in-country transportation
- Airport pick-up/drop-off
- Professional full-time staff and experts from the USA/Europe
- 24/7 Parent Support Hotline during the program
- Secondary medical and travel insurance
- All cultural activities, lectures and weekend excursions
- Pre-departure materials and support
Chat with Past Participants on Facebook
Custom Group Travel Option
Global Leadership Adventures offers open enrollment on this program to any high school student who wishes to join any of the summer session dates listed above. Students will meet other teens from around the country and the world who sign up for the same program dates and destination.
Alternatively, this program is also available as an option for custom group travel any time of the year for those looking to put together their own group trip.
GLA Custom Group Travel works with educators, group leaders, or self-led students to create a tailored experience for their specific group of 12 or more students. Select a pre-designed itinerary or select your own countries, themes, and learning objectives. GLA’s service-learning methodology is the vehicle through which students learn, grow and challenge themselves and their fellow travelers; our host communities welcome students’ energy and helping hands.
Leadership and personal growth are the core components of all of our programs, regardless of duration, destination or theme type and can be woven throughout every aspect of the experience through our intentional design as desired by the group leader. Our programs aim to ignite participants to become inspired to be the change.
The GLA Community