Costa Rica: Animal Rescue Project™
Rescue and rehabilitate animals in Costa Rica, a natural haven for both domestic and wild creatures.
- Do hands-on volunteer work alongside veterinarians
- Help care for dogs at a family-run rescue center
- Experience home visits and rural pop-up clinics
- Learn about Costa Rica’s animal rescue and wildlife conservation efforts
- Zipline and horseback ride through lush valleys
- Careen down the river on a whitewater rafting adventure and log some extra hours in the veterinary clinics (21 Day Flagship Program only)
On This Program you will...
Promote animal rights and spread awareness about the issue in local communities. You’ll gain pre-veterinary experience working alongside certified veterinarians and animal rescue experts. Not only will you do compassionate, hands-on work with lovable, furry friends at a dog rescue center, you’ll also learn about exotic wildlife species in a country known for its dedication to conservation. In your time off service, experience all the outdoor adventure and natural beauty Costa Rica has to offer.
Your Adventure is Just Around the Corner!
This is a service-intensive program shadowing local veterinarians and animal experts. Rotate through different positions at a traveling clinic providing access to veterinary services. Some of the cases you might see include spay and neuter, deworming, and care for skin conditions and wounds. Observe the intake, surgery and postoperative procedures, and help repair critical infrastructure. You’ll may also volunteer your time walking dogs, working on projects requiring physical labor, making toys, and refurbishing the rescue center.
In developing countries, pets are often at higher risk of abandonment or disease, simply due to a lack of resources and limited access to veterinary care. Likewise, exotic animals unfortunately face exploitation or the loss of their natural habitats. Learn from guest speakers about Costa Rica’s rescue and conservation efforts. In addition, gain exposure to the processes and procedures of veterinary care.
With its rainforests, volcanoes, hills, and valleys lined with rows upon rows of coffee plants, the inland region of Costa Rica offers some of the richest scenery to be found in Costa Rica. See the views on horseback, go ziplining, and relax after a long day in natural hot springs. On the 21-Day Flagship Program, you’ll also experience whitewater rafting, and surfing or stand-up paddle boarding on a beach excursion.
The main Home Base is a locally-owned boutique hotel in inland Costa Rica, surrounded by hills and lush vegetation. While traveling through the country to implement veterinary clinics in local communities, students will stay in exclusive hotel blocks. In all accommodations, students live in gender-segregated rooms with roommates and have access to shared bathrooms.
Are you passionate about making a difference in the lives of animals?
- Collaborate with experts on issues surrounding animal & wildlife conservation
- Spend time up-close and personal with rescue animals such as cats and dogs
- Work side-by-side with your teen animal volunteer team as you help find homes for animals who have been injured or abandoned
- Contribute to sustainable habitat projects that will help these animals to flourish
Dates & Tuition
Animal Rescue Project™
21-Day Flagship Program
|July 3 – July 23, 2021|
|June 17 – June 30, 2021|
|July 27 – August 9, 2021|
Tuition Includes All In-Country Expenses Including:
- All educational materials
- 3 meals per day
- All in-country transportation
- Airport pick-up/drop-off
- Professional full-time staff and experts from the USA/Europe
- 24/7 Parent Support Hotline during the program
- Secondary medical and travel insurance
- All cultural activities, lectures and weekend excursions
- Pre-departure materials and support
Chat with Past Participants on Facebook
Custom Group Travel Option
Global Leadership Adventures offers open enrollment on this program to any high school student who wishes to join any of the summer session dates listed above. Students will meet other teens from around the country and the world who sign up for the same program dates and destination.
Alternatively, this program is also available as an option for custom group travel any time of the year for those looking to put together their own group trip.
GLA Custom Group Travel works with educators, group leaders, or self-led students to create a tailored experience for their specific group of 12 or more students. Select a pre-designed itinerary or select your own countries, themes, and learning objectives. GLA’s service-learning methodology is the vehicle through which students learn, grow and challenge themselves and their fellow travelers; our host communities welcome students’ energy and helping hands.
Leadership and personal growth are the core components of all of our programs, regardless of duration, destination or theme type and can be woven throughout every aspect of the experience through our intentional design as desired by the group leader. Our programs aim to ignite participants to become inspired to be the change.