Staff Headquarter Jobs
The following positions are currently available:
Position: Photographer & Videographer (Marketing Coordinator)
Location: San Diego, CA
Reports to: Director of Marketing, Global Leadership Adventures
Global Leadership Adventures (GLA) operates life-changing summer travel experiences for high school students in Africa, Asia, Europe & Latin America. GLA is part of Terra Education, a certified B-Corporation that seeks to use the power of business for social good.
The Role (Primary)
The Global Leadership Adventures marketing team has an opening for a brand new position - Photographer & Videographer (Marketing Coordinator). This role requires intermediate to advanced skills in photography, shooting video, and photo/video editing. The Photographer & Videographer will be tasked with creating one new video per week across a range of formats, from simple staff/student interviews to program highlight reels, YouTube ads and how-tos. In this role, you will be responsible for the entire planning, production and post-production processes for all photo and video projects. This person will also lead our efforts in photography, including photographing programs, as well as editing and archiving footage. Extensive experience using Final Cut Pro and Adobe Photoshop is required.
The Role (Secondary)
Were you wondering why the job title had “Marketing Coordinator” in parentheses? Well, in addition to your core visual media assignments, this new junior-to-mid-level position will serve a supporting function as the team’s Marketing Coordinator, helping out with all kinds of projects and assorted tasks on an ongoing basis as-needed. A willingness to tackle any marketing task, from helping to copy edit campaign emails to data entry on spreadsheets, is essential to this role. Someone who only wants to be behind the camera all day is not the right fit for this position, but someone who is excited about taking on any marketing project - big or small, photo-related or not - will be an ideal candidate.
This role will initially be execution-heavy, and will rely on close coordination with your fellow marketing team members and department director, but may eventually grow to include more strategy and thought leadership for the right person. As a brand new position, the scope and scale of the role may vary over time, but these are the key responsibility areas we expect initially:
- Produce one new video per week (typically). These will usually be simpler videos that require less execution time, such as interviews, highlight reels, etc; but may sometimes include videos of larger scope.
- Concept, storyboard, set up, film, edit and launch the following major videos each year:
- Annual Overview Video featuring in-depth look at our various program offerings
- Annual Long Ad and Short Ad videos for use on online advertising platforms
- Several other as yet to be determined video projects
- Photograph programs, events and other features as needed (including photo editing)
- Manage and revamp our YouTube channel
- Post daily photos on our Instagram feed
- Run our student photo and video contests and coordinate all student photo/video submissions
- Assist our marketing specialists with preparing and selecting photos for key marketing assets, including the GLA website, marketing emails and the program catalog
- Manage our visual media library
- Coordinate any freelance field photographers/videographers we need each summer
- Support team on any and all marketing tasks as-needed. These tasks may occasionally supercede your photo/video assignments depending on organizational priorities.
Desired Skills and Experience
You will be a one-person show when it comes to photo/video production and editing, so you’ll need to have the necessary skills, competence and confidence to execute projects from start-to-finish with minimal support. Similarly, the right candidate be enthusiastic about tackling marketing support tasks on a regular basis, including everything from data entry to helping ship materials for events (important: this is not solely a photo and video production role). Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Several years of professional experience working in photography or video-related fields (filming, production, editing, etc.) is desired, but we will consider recent college graduates for the right candidate!
- High degree of comfort and skill taking the lead on every aspect of video creation, including:
- Concepting and storyboarding
- Writing scripts
- Arranging and conducting interviews
- Setting up field shoots and filming on location
- Editing footage
- Creating basic video graphics (on-screen text, fades, title screens, etc.)
- Exporting video files in various formats
- Mastery of lighting and audio for digital photography and videos
- Intermediate to advanced experience with Final Cut Pro and Adobe Photoshop is required
- Strong writing and copy editing skills
- Team-minded but comfortable working independently, with an entrepreneurial spirit and creative personality, at ease working and meeting deadlines in a fast-paced, challenging, but fun environment
- Desire to work with an international team and flexibility to accommodate their schedules from time to time
- Previous experience with photo/video-heavy social media channels (Instagram, YouTube)
- Analytical mind with ability to plan, measure and report on program successes through targeted KPIs
- Strong project management skills with experience managing workflow between different departments and stakeholders
- Willing to travel overseas for weeks at a time and work non-regular hours on occasion
- All-hands-on-deck mentality for any marketing support task
- Sense of humor is a must!
Compensation, Benefits and Expectations
Compensation is competitive and based on experience. As a full-time member of the marketing team, you will be expected to work a minimum of 40 hours a week, though that may increase during peak season and when filming on-location. Office hours for this role are standard daytime hours Monday-Friday, and we offer flexible scheduling when we can, but hours will vary during the summer and other times of the year when you are working on field photography and videography.
You will be eligible for company-sponsored travel to visit one or more of our programs to produce new photos and videos for GLA each summer, pending performance. We also offer medical, dental and life insurance, gym membership, 401K, wellness program, team happy hours, as well as a fun work environment with a mission driven, rapidly growing company you can believe in.
If you believe in GLA's mission and want to contribute to the team and grow your talents with us, we'd love to hear from you.
Interested in Applying?
Send your cover letter and a resume that demonstrates the required experience and skills to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please be sure to write “Photographer & Videographer” in the subject line AND include your salary requirements in your cover letter.
Also, please include the cover letter in the body of the email and the resume as an attachment (Word document or PDF only). if you don't, your resume will not be considered.
In addition, please include the following at the bottom of your application email:
- 5 photos that represent the scope of your skill and experience (attachments or links)
- 1 short video you produced as the primary creator and editor (link)
- 1 YouTube video you think of as a strong model for future GLA videos (link)
- 1 Instagram account you think of as a strong model for future GLA visual branding (link)