Brazil: Rio Service Adventure
Experience one-of-a-kind Rio de Janeiro, also known as Cidade Maravilhosa (‘the marvelous city’). Unique culture, beautiful beaches, and friendly people await.
- Work on urban community development projects with youth
- Explore Rio through a guided city tour
- Learn to samba and explore the art of capoeira, a dance-based martial art native to the region
- Spend a weekend at a lodge in the mountains outside of the city
- Explore the gorgeous coastline and beaches
On This Program you will...
Experience spectacular Rio de Janeiro, from its favelas to its spectacular beachfront. Partner with a local organization to help improve conditions in the neighborhoods with the most need; from beautification projects to cleanup to improving athletic facilities and participating in sports workshops with local residents, you’ll get to know the culture through its people as you work side by side.
Your Adventure is Just Around the Corner!
Almost 25% of Rio’s population lives in favelas, or marginalized neighborhoods. Many favela communities do not have running water or proper sanitation systems, and residents often do not have access to healthcare. Work with a local NGO run by favela residents on community development projects that benefit different neighborhoods throughout the city. Creating murals, infrastructure and cleanup projects, tutoring, and urban gardening are all possible areas of focus, depending on what is most needed upon our arrival.
Take a guided city tour to get to know the ins and outs of Cidade Maravilhosa, or Marvelous City as Rio is known. With a crash course in Portuguese taught by local staff under your belt, you’ll soon be haggling in the marketplace like a pro! Music is an integral part of Brazilian culture, and you’ll learn some moves in an interactive samba dance class. Taste the culture with traditional Brazilian fare like South American-style barbecue or Pão de Queijo.
Rio is home to many iconic sites; the famed Christ the Redeemer statue that towers above the city, Copacabana and Ipanema Beach and Sugarloaf Mountain are all in store! Take a break from the bustling city and head to north to explore the serene northern mountainous region. Take an excursion to Ilha Grande, a biologically diverse island just south of Rio lined with picturesque palms and home to land and marine life alike.
Lodging info coming soon.
Are you passionate about improving the communities children depend on?
- Make a difference as a teen volunteer in the lives of children in-need through meaningful service
- Connect with a new culture and make friends with like-minded interests
- Go on excursions and explore everything that makes the destination you choose special
- Leave a lasting impact that will have a positive effect on the community for years to come
Dates & Tuition
Rio Service Adventure
21-Day Flagship Program
|June 30 – July 20, 2020|
Tuition Includes All In-Country Expenses Including:
- All educational materials
- 3 meals per day
- All in-country transportation
- Airport pick-up/drop-off
- Professional full-time staff and experts from the USA/Europe
- 24/7 Parent Support Hotline during the program
- Secondary medical and travel insurance
- All cultural activities, lectures and weekend excursions
- Pre-departure materials and support
Chat with Past Participants on Facebook
Custom Group Travel Option
Global Leadership Adventures offers open enrollment on this program to any high school student who wishes to join any of the summer session dates listed above. Students will meet other teens from around the country and the world who sign up for the same program dates and destination.
Alternatively, this program is also available as an option for custom group travel any time of the year for those looking to put together their own group trip.
GLA Custom Group Travel works with educators, group leaders, or self-led students to create a tailored experience for their specific group of 12 or more students. Select a pre-designed itinerary or select your own countries, themes, and learning objectives. GLA’s service-learning methodology is the vehicle through which students learn, grow and challenge themselves and their fellow travelers; our host communities welcome students’ energy and helping hands.
Leadership and personal growth are the core components of all of our programs, regardless of duration, destination or theme type and can be woven throughout every aspect of the experience through our intentional design as desired by the group leader. Our programs aim to ignite participants to become inspired to be the change.