Flash Grant! Until January 23, all Photography & Journalism programs are eligible for Flash Grants worth up to $500. This summer with GLA, take your camera off the tourist path and learn how to capture the rich and surprising stories of locals through direct exchanges. The work you create will be a powerful tool for communication: sharing stories, giving voices to remote communities and exposing critical issues.
One of our resolutions for 2018 was to see the world differently. There is a difference between looking and seeing: To look is commonplace. To see is a gift. As photographers, truly seeing begins with going beneath the surface of your surroundings. "Photography is an art of observation," said renowned documentary photographer Elliott Erwitt. "I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them."
Programs Eligible / Grant Amounts
Head to the Enrollment Portal and apply for the program of your choice from the list above. Enter the corresponding scholarship code on your application. The Service Grant will be applied to the tuition balance. Flash Grant expires on January 22.
Peru: Service Through the Lens™ (21-Day Flagship Proram)
Experience Machu Picchu and beyond as you refine your photography skills and storytelling techniques.
Peru deserves its reputation as a mystical travel destination. Beauty abounds in its most iconic sites: The colonial gem of Cuzco, the Inca citadel at Machu Picchu, the Sacred Valley surrounded by snow-capped peaks. However, as a storyteller you might discover that tucked in between these wild landscapes is another world of photo opportunities: Colorful weaving villages, market days, the hardy mountain lifestyle of families living in the Andes. Truly, the people are Peru’s real treasure and most dynamic force: Warm in spirit, resourceful and resilient, Peruvians are generous about sharing their lives and their country with visitors. With your eyes and heart open, take your camera off the tourist path to capture their rich and surprising stories through direct exchanges.
- Capture moments of daily life in Andean communities
- Participate in workshops with award-winning photojournalists
- Learn composition and storytelling on immersive field expeditions
- Take a day hike to Machu Picchu
- Visit the incredible salt pond terraces of Maras
See Program Dates & Itinerary | Enroll with code SEETHEWORLD500 to receive a $500 Flash Grant,
India: Service Through the Lens™ (21-Day Flagship Program / 14-Day Program)
Capture the stories of a great civilization, from Himalayan societies to the stunning Taj Mahal.
Visual imagery is a powerful tool for communication, with the ability to reach audiences far and wide, both emotionally and directly. In India, everyday life plays out in bright colors, a vivid juxtaposition of ancient and modern against a backdrop of intricate architecture. Full of diverse people, dramatic landscapes and spiritual energy, the village of Dharamsala—home to the Dalai Lama and today’s Tibetan refugee community—is the fascinating setting where you’ll learn everything you’ve ever wanted to know about journalistic media: the basics of documentation, what makes a good story, ethical practices and how to use modern technologies such as social media and blogging to reach a wider audience.
- Travel through some of India’s most brilliant landscapes
- Participate in expert-led photo tours and journalism workshops
- Build your skills as a visual storyteller as you volunteer with rural communities
- Experience the vibrant colors of spice and antique markets
- Photograph ancient Himalayan monasteries alive with Tibetan devotees
- Travel to the Taj Mahal, the world’s most famous monument to undying love
See Program Dates & Itinerary | Enroll with code SEETHEWORLD500 (for 21-Day Flagship Program) or SEETHEWORLD300 (for 14-Day Program) to receive a $500 or $300 Flash Grant, respectively.
Cuba: Culture in Focus™ (10-Day Program)
Capture and tell the stories of this small but resilient island in the Caribbean Sea.
From dawn to past midnight, street life in Havana is a ballet in constant motion, alive with the pulse of the island’s rich culture. Venture off the tourist path on “photo safaris” to explore the little-known and less-traveled backstreets of Havana and its fascinating neighborhoods. Learn how slowing down allows visual artists to perceive color and form in a given scene, and how this increased awareness can lay the foundation for the creative response that leads to making memorable photographs.
- Go on photo tours of Havana’s street scenes and hidden gems
- Participate in workshops and image reviews with local photographers
- Photograph landscapes on the Viñales biosphere reserve
- Volunteer and support art projects benefiting urban families
- Create work for a photo contest and expo at program’s end
- Snorkel off a beach in the Cuban keys
See Program Dates & Itinerary | Enroll with code SEETHEWORLD300 to receive a $300 Flash Grant
Terms & Conditions
- The Flash Grant cannot be combined with any other special offers, Service Grants or Alumni Scholarships, with the exception of need-based scholarships.
- The Flash Grant is only available on enrollments submitted between January 16 and January 23, 2018, in the programs listed on this webpage.
- The Flash Grant must be redeemed by following the instructions outlined above, using the scholarship code SEETHEWORLD500 / SEETHEWORLD300. You may also call +1 858-771-0645 for assistance with enrolling in either program and redeeming the Service Grant.
- In the event that a student chooses to switch his or her program of choice to a session not included in this Flash Grant, the $500 or $300 Flash Grant will not transfer over to the new balance.