Flash Grant! In honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday, and just in time for setting intentions for the new year, we're awarding $500 Flash Grants to students who enroll in GLA programs tackling social justice issues through service-learning and social entrepreneurship. "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere," Dr. King said. "Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly."
Head to the Enrollment Portal and enter scholarship code BETHECHANGE2018 on your application for either of the programs above. The $500 Service Grant will be applied to the tuition balance. Flash Grant expires on Martin Luther King Jr. Day 2018 (January 15).
One of the great meeting points of the African continent and of the world, South Africa is alive with energy, ideas and action for social change.
Indisputably one of the most beautiful cities in the world, Cape Town, South Africa, is a tapestry of wild mountain landscapes and rugged coastlines. Nearly two decades after the fall of Apartheid, the incredible cultural mix of this modern “rainbow nation” can still be a source of tension; but more and more often, it results in energetic collaborations between locals and foreigners alike, from truly all walks of life. Volunteer on ongoing projects in Cape Town and see the innovation in Johannesburg that continues to uplift the community and help achieve social change.
- Live in Cape Town, one of the most beautiful cities in the world
- Experience the complex and multicultural society of South Africa
- Volunteer on an education project with township youth
- Hike to the summit of Table Mountain and visit Robben Island
- Experience South Africa’s animal kingdom on a wildlife reserve
- Visit the campus of African Leadership Academy
See Program Dates & Itinerary | Enroll with code BETHECHANGE2018 to receive a $500 Flash Grant (Deadline: January 15)
Go behind the scenes of international development and learn from passionate leaders about how to tackle global issues.
Designed for students who have an interest in global development and human rights, this program gives a behind-the-scenes look at organizations working to solve the world’s most complex issues. Examine the systems in place, and ask yourself: Whom do they actually serve? Through shadowing local NGOs, you’ll gain a toolkit for addressing these social issues while developing lifelong skills for leadership and community development. Meet inspiring leaders and peers, and challenge yourself to convert your passion into sustainable action.
- Through fieldwork and discussions, examine global challenges and innovative ways of solving them
- Shadow leaders of international development organizations
- Assist a local NGO with running community surveys
- Learn to evaluate NGOs based on their ethics, effectiveness and sustainability
- Gain exposure to career paths in global development and human rights
- Live in a rustic ecolodge, steps from a Caribbean beach
See Program Dates & Itinerary | Enroll with code BETHECHANGE2018 to receive a $500 Flash Grant
Terms & Conditions
- The Flash Grant cannot be combined with any other special offers, Service Grants or Alumni Scholarships, with the exception of need-based scholarships.
- The Flash Grant is only available on enrollments submitted between January 8 and January 15, 2018, in South Africa: Social Change Project™ or Dominican Republic: International Development Initiative™ 2018 sessions.
- The Flash Grant must be redeemed by following the instructions outlined above, using the scholarship code BETHECHANGE2018. You may also call +1 858-771-0645 for assistance with enrolling in either program and redeeming the Service Grant.
- In the event that a student chooses to switch his or her program of choice to a session not included in this Flash Grant, the $500 Flash Grant will not transfer over to the new balance.