The ancient Inca Empire is yours to discover while making a difference in the lives of families.
- Volunteer to improve the health and education of children
- Bike through the Sacred Valley
- Visit key archaeological sites of the Inca Empire
- Hands-on workshops on Andean music and dance
- Whitewater rafting through the Andes mountains – watch video.
- Be dazzled by the colors of the indigenous craft markets
- Visit the lost city of Machu Picchu – watch video.
Discover Cusco, the cultural heart of the ancient Inca Empire, a 5,000-year-old civilization shrouded in mystery and tradition. Volunteer with non-profit organizations that work to improve the health and well-being of indigenous children. On the weekends, explore the Sacred Valley by bike and raft and hike to the lost city of Machu Picchu.
- Watch video: GLA Alum David G. describes the service project.
Our community service projects focus on improving public health for women and children. At one site, we work on a project to build clean-burning stoves to improve the respiratory health of women and children. We also build greenhouses so rural families can plant vegetable gardens to combat malnutrition in children as well as traditional medicinal plants. At the other site, we volunteer at a village school, helping to build and re-paint classrooms.
The Quechua people of the Peruvian Andes are the direct descendents of the Inca Empire. We will learn first hand about their unique and rich culture through Andean music and dance workshops, a Quechua language crash course, talks on Andean cosmology and meetings with traditional healers. Informally, you’ll experience the local culture through soccer games with local youth, meetings with farmer communities and engaging discussions with non-profit organizations.
The Sacred Valley surrounding Cusco is full of archaeological marvels built by the Inca Empire. We’ll visit many of these famous sites and even visit the lost city of Machu Picchu. On our 21-Day Flagship program, you’ll also spend a weekend delving deep into the Sacred Valley by visiting ancient ruins on bicycles, camping in the hills and whitewater rafting down rivers winding through the Andes Mountains. We’ll also visit Pisac, one of Peru’s largest artisanal markets.
- Watch video – Bike tour through the Sacred Valley
- Watch video – Shop and barter at the local indigenous craft market.
The GLA Home Base, which also hosts the Spanish Service Adventure program, is located in a beautiful hotel. There are two students per room. Our cooks will prepare Peruvian cuisine. On the 21-Day Flagship Program, we will camp in tents provided by GLA during one weekend.