Dive deep into environmental sustainability issues and develop leadership skills to address humanity’s greatest environmental challenges.
- Volunteer to implement ecologically sustainable projects in rural areas
- Visit Haitian resettlement villages
- Hike to stunning waterfalls
- Ride a catamaran in the Caribbean and explore pristine beaches
- Meet dynamic leaders and NGOs implementing cutting edge social programs
- Explore the colonial city of Santo Domingo
- Read student blog : GLA Alum Maile Hartsook shares how the Dominican Republic changed her life when she returned home.
Led by Dave Addison, our international director, who holds his PhD in Global Sustainability, the group will meet with major NGOs and local leaders who are making great progress on sustainability in the Caribbean. You will be given the tools and support to design your own project as you collaborate with your peers to determine ways to empower change in a Dominican community, as well as in your home communities. You will evaluate the role of natural resources in your life and determine the vital purpose they play in the future of the world.
- Watch Dr. Dave Addison, our Program Director, talk about GLA Dominican Republic.
Our group will volunteer on various sustainability projects throughout the country including the construction of clean-burning stoves in rural communities and installation of water filtration devices; we will also assist in the development of agriculture and reforestation systems. In addition, you can share your talents doing arts and crafts, playing sports and games, and teaching basic conversational English with local children that our group will meet along the way. We’ll even visit Haitian refugee camp and brighten the lives of those who have lost everything and now live in the Dominican Republic.
- Check out Leah’s blog on her GLA summer in the Caribbean.
We will explore topics in environmental sustainability, the most critical issue of the 21st century. Through the service work and seminars, you will learn for yourself how to envision and change your life to become more sustainable. These seminars are carefully designed to allow you to make connections between the work at the community service project and issues facing the rest of the world. You will also learn about the vibrant Dominican culture through music, dance, and food.
- Listen to GLA Alums Andrea and Pia talk about what they learned in the Dominican.
We’ll explore the tropical countryside through long hikes out to a chain of hidden waterfalls and remote villages. We’ll ride a catamaran in the Caribbean, snorkel through crystal blue waters and coral reefs, and sunbathe on pristine white sand beaches. In addition, we will explore urban life in the colonial capital, Santo Domingo. The Dominican Republic is an ideal place for those looking for fun and adventure in the sun while making a difference.
- Read student blog : Check out GLA Alum Jayvee Salunga’s adventures in the DR!